Alfred Vivian was born in Mineral Point in 1867 and was one of six graduates in the Class of 1884 at Mineral Point High School. He earned his doctorate in agricultural chemistry from the University of Wisconsin before moving on to the The Ohio State University in Columbus, Ohio. In 1902 Alfred became an associate professor in the College of Agriculture at Ohio State. In 1915 he became the Dean of the College of Agriculture, a position he held until 1932. Vivian Hall, which was removed in 2011 due to age, was named in his honor in 1958. Vivian helped establish a strong FFA and 4-H presence in the state of Ohio.