Recent Results
  • Mineral Point Boys Basketball Will Play in State Championship Saturday!!!
The Student News Site of Mineral Point High School

Pointer Media

Pointer Media

Pointer Media

February 6-12 Choir Concert

The Mineral Point Choirs had their February Choral Concert – Songs of Hope, Help, Strength – at the Mineral Point Opera House. The concert was dedicated to the Sources of Strength project. All of the choirs had their own repertoire and style and were directed by Ashley Calderone-Mchugh and accompanied by Jean VanMatre. Even though they’re small, they can still fill a whole opera house.
The sixth-grade choir started off the concert with sweet Edelweiss” from The Sound of Music by Richard Rogers. They followed up with “Evening Prayer” from Hansel and Gretel by Engelbert Humperdink, arranged by Gallina. They finished with “Send Down the Rain” by Joyce Elaine Eilers. Members of the choir are Collette Dunn, Isaiah Birchall, Freya Grettie-Belling, Ella Horsfall, Ella Runde, Ivan Hohler, Viola Murn, and Griffin Soldner. They are a small choir of eight students but send a beautiful sound through the theater.
The seventh-eighth grade choir was next singing “All The Pretty Little Horses” which is an American Folk song arranged by Frackenpohl. Their last song was “He’s Gone Away” from Three Mountain Ballads which is another American Folk song. It is arranged by Nelson. The seventh-grade members are Bella Basting, Sophia Erickson, Lily Heisner, Rachel Heisner, Avalee Langreck, and Hannah Conniber. The eighth-grade members are Beth Jewel, Shayna Sigg, Keyara Collins, Emme Oellerich, and Suttyn Weinbrenner. It’s very difficult to have an all-girl choir because they have to take the bass and tenor parts and make it easier for their range.
The high school choir was last and started with an American Gospel tune called “Down in the River to Pray” arranged by Mennicke. Their next song was a Latin song called “Sicut Cervus” by Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, arranged by Robinson. The Latin translation is, “As a deer yearns for fountains of water, so longeth my soul for you, God”. Their next song was “My Funny Valentine” by Lorenz Hart, arranged by Mineral Point senior Libby Dunn. Their last song was another Latin piece called “Locus Iste” by Anton Bruckner. The Latin translation is, “This place was made by God. It is an inestimable sacrament, it is irreproachable”. Freshman members are Emilee Birchall, Lucy Paynter, Josie Dunn, Emily Heisner, Cooper McGuire, Lily Fox, and Leah Raab. Sophomore members are Ryley Reichling, Lilly Murn, Eli Klein, Austi Leigh, and Madelyn Steffes. Junior members are Finn Renwick, Addison Christopher, Taitin, Riley, Brooke Paynter, Anthony Luu, and Lila Thousand. Senior members are Caiden Garcia, Morgan Palzkill, Julianna Cool, Tobin Shea, Libby Dunn, Merisa Paynter, and Abby Webb. Even with some students in independent study, this choir comes together nicely and puts on a great performance.
Lastly, all the choirs came together for one last piece. This piece is an Argentinian Tango called “Libertango” by Astor Piazzolla arranged by Escalada. This song tested all of the singer’s ability for all the difficult jumps and key signatures.
This concert was a great success and the public enjoyed the performances.