Recent Results
  • Mineral Point Boys Basketball Will Play in State Championship Saturday!!!
The Student News Site of Mineral Point High School

Pointer Media

Pointer Media

Pointer Media

The EWC: Mineral Point High School’s New Environmental Club

Kris McCoy

The Earth-Wise Club, or EWC, is Mineral Point High School’s new environmental club. Keep reading to learn about its development and what it’s up to.

Forming the Club

The EWC started as a small group of students and community members. They gathered at Soldier’s Memorial Park every few weeks to discuss the climate crisis and the idea of making a change that would put the school district on a path toward renewable energy use. 

Later, the group contacted members of the high school staff and school board regarding the possibility of installing solar power at MPHS. They found that solar power would be a smart investment for the school, once the district actually has the money to invest.

“Then came the question: ‘What should we do in the meantime?’ Because I don’t think our group was satisfied in just waiting; we wanted to see some sort of concrete transition.”

• Julianna Cool, the EWC’s secretary

The group temporarily moved the solar installation objective to the back burner and broadened its horizons. 

I think we realized that there are many other improvements to be made in terms of MPHS’s sustainability practices. And many could take a much lesser financial toll than converting our energy source, and therefore be easier to execute.

• Bobby Albright, the EWC’s treasurer

They decided the most effective way to make a difference was to get the student body involved in the form of a club. After receiving approval from Mr. Austin, the EWC was born.

Chuck Tennessen and Brett Jenkins volunteered to be the club’s advisors. These proactive community members were members of Iowa County’s “Clean Local Energy Alliance – Now,” or “CLEA-N” organization, so they were perfect fits for the role. Kalea Biddick, Julianna Cool, Madelyn Steffes, Bobby Albright, and Landyn Moellers were elected to be the EWC’s officer team.

What They’re Doing

Right Now:

The EWC is working toward implementing an effective recycling program within the school. Although one does currently exist, the EWC is attempting to make some advancements in that area. The club is also educating about sustainability with the utilization of Wake Up Mineral Point, which features a weekly Tuesday’s Environmental Tip.

In the Works:

Mineral Point High School will be hosting a Science Night on October 17, where the EWC will have a green-inspired project on display. Additionally, the club will be participating in a highway cleanup on HWY-151 this fall. Later this year, the EWC is planning to look into installing a composting system at MPHS to cut down on the negative effects of food waste. This would also provide educational opportunities for the agricultural and greenhouse classes.

The EWC encourages anyone interested to get involved. Stop in the Blue Room on the second Thursday of each month during advisory to check it out!