Recent Results
  • Mineral Point Boys Basketball Will Play in State Championship Saturday!!!
The Student News Site of Mineral Point High School

Pointer Media

Pointer Media

Pointer Media

Mineral Point JV vs. Southwestern

Mineral Point JV Basketball vs. Southwestern

Thursday night the Pointers traveled to Southwestern to go head-to-head with the Wildcats, trying to catch a big win after going 0-3 for the past 1 ½ weeks. It all changed Thursday night. This was a big game for JV and a must-win game to keep the Pointers in a positive state of mind for the rest of the season. The Pointers were hungry.
The game started off with a bucket from Southwestern after Lucas Foley drove down the middle of the lane for a right-hand finish at the basket. The Pointers fought right back after point guard Grady Finley drove to the hoop with a hop skip and jump right to the rim, after squeezing through two tall defenders. With the score of 2-2, you could tell the Pointers were going to really push themselves early on; they wanted this game badly.
As the game got running the Pointers seemed to have hit a shooting slump but quickly came out of it after small forward Keaton Dempsey connected on a wing three. Furthermore, the Pointers were racking up steals because of the diamond half-court press they were in. The press ended up getting the Pointers 10 points in fastbreak layups. The Pointers were looking good.
To wrap up the first half the Pointers were finally getting their flow back from these past few games — they were connecting on 3’s, executing passes and plays, and really just getting the groove of things. The Pointers ended the half 32-19, up 13 to finish off the half.
Coming back into the 2nd half the Pointers would not let up. Though the Wildcats were fighting and trying to find any holes in Mineral Points’ defense, the Pointers just kept pushing. Keaton Dempsey led the half with a barrage of threes and occasionally punched through the defense to get to the rim. Grady Finley, Brett Bossert, Thorin Vamstad, and Cole Ripp added a collective total of 14 points to the scoreboard early in the half.
Later in the game the Pointers were up by twenty and made their mark as the victor of this game. As the clock winded down the scoreboard reads 65-41. The Pointers win and get a spark to the season they’ve been looking for.