Meet Mr. McWilliams

Maddie Nodolf

Mr. McWilliams in front of his math equation wall

Meet Mr.McWilliams, the math teacher who gives you treats in class weekly, jokes around, does random brain break activities, and is chill about everything. Here’s what he had to say when I got a chance to ask a couple of questions…

Why did you choose Mineral Point to teach?
I think teaching in a small school is excellent. You get to know everybody: custodians, students, and teachers. Mineral Point is just a great place to be.

Would you choose a different place to teach?
No, I’ve visited many different schools and interacted with students from other areas and states. Nothing beats Mineral Point.

What do you teach?
I teach high school math. So I have algebra, advanced algebra, pre-calculus, applications of algebra, college math, prep, AP Calculus, and statistics.

Why do you teach it?
Well, mainly because I love math. And also because students either love math or seem to hate math. And hopefully, my joy of math can spread in and get those students who don’t enjoy math to make it a little bit better.

Was this your favorite subject in school?
No, it was not. It wasn’t my favorite, but it wasn’t my least favorite. I did not realize until I was a junior in college that I loved math.

Where did you go to college?
I went to Winona State University, University of Minnesota.

What did you major in?
I majored in mathematics. And I minored in statistics.

What’s your favorite memory from teaching in Mineral Point?
As exhausting as these times are throughout the school year, I think my favorite times are similar to students’ favorite times, which include Homecoming Week and holiday games. You know, the kind of like fun sort of non-academic related things. But in the classroom, I think the day of the AP calculus exams is my favorite day. Just seeing all the stress that the AP calculus students are under.

If you could choose a different career, what would it be?
I think I would be involved with numbers or math somehow. And so maybe, like an accountant or an engineer or something dealing with math for sure, though,

Why?
I think part of the reason why math is so great is that there’s typically just a right or a wrong answer. And so you develop a technique or a procedure, and you do whatever you’re doing until you get to an end, which is like a final resting place, as opposed to projects that never seem complete. In math, there’s always an endpoint; you get there and feel accomplished.

How did you get the nickname Dub?
I don’t know where that nickname came from. But early on in my teaching career, kids started calling me Dub, and it stuck. I don’t remember who started calling me Dub, but I never asked why they did. But the reason why people call me that is because in my name, there’s a W, but I don’t know what stands out about the W.

Do you like your nickname, Dub?
I thoroughly enjoy my nickname. Dub.

Do you like Dub or Dubber better?
No, I do not like Dubber, only Mr. McWilliams or Dub.