Recent Results
  • Mineral Point Boys Basketball Will Play in State Championship Saturday!!!
The Student News Site of Mineral Point High School

Pointer Media

Pointer Media

Pointer Media

Pointer Football Defeats Fennimore Eagles by a Wide Margin

On Friday, the Mineral Point Varsity football team traveled to Fennimore to face the Golden Eagles in a SWAL conference matchup. Quarterback Gibson Sporle started the scoring for the pointers with a 2-yard touchdown run. Bryce Vamstad added the extra point to make it 7-0. Sporle threw two more touchdowns in the first half – one to Landon Thousand and one to Tremaine Kennicker. After the game, Thousand said that they had an “excellent team performance and started the game off hot, which led to overall success.” The Golden Eagles were marching down the field as the end of the 1st half was nearing, but Grady Finley ended their hopes with a 56-yard interception return. Brock Lynch capped off the interception with a touchdown run. The Pointers came out of the halftime break strong with a 28-point lead. They managed one more touchdown via Reid Acherman on a run to make it 35-0 going into the 4th quarter. The Eagles finally got their running game going and put together what looked like an incredible drive but was ended quickly by a forced fumble by Reid Acherman that the Pointers recovered.

The Eagles showed strong defense and got the ball back with just under 10 minutes to go. In the game’s closing minutes, the Golden Eagles got on the board from a rushing touchdown by running back Ian Crapp. Fennimore missed the extra point; however, the score stood at 35-6. The Pointers got the ball back and ran out the clock to secure the win.
Senior Bryce Vamstad said, “Our defensive backs played well. We were able to lock up for most of the game.” The Pointers extended their win streak to three games to bring their season record to 3-2. Next week, they will be home against the Darlington Redbirds for a highly anticipated matchup. When asked how they will approach Darlington, Thousand states, “Our biggest focus is on ourselves and perfecting what we do, which will lead to success.”