Recent Results
  • Mineral Point Boys Basketball Will Play in State Championship Saturday!!!
The Student News Site of Mineral Point High School

Pointer Media

Pointer Media

Pointer Media

Cornwall and This Year’s Student Exchange

Mineral Point to Cornwall

Mineral Point and Redruth, Cornwall have had a close connection for centuries. To this day, we continue to honor this tie with several traditions, including an annual student exchange.

It all started in the mid-1800s when Cornish settlers arrived in Mineral Point. Having experience in mining tin, they established a strong lead mining community. By 1845, about half of Mineral Point’s population was made of Cornish descendants. Because of this, in 1997, a twinning charter was established between the two cities.

As of today, Mineral Point is known as the most Cornish town in the United States. The town does a great job preserving its history, and, in conjunction, it offers Cornish food, tours, and museums to visitors and community members. The town has even established a Cornish society. The society puts on many events, including the Cornish Fest, which will last from Friday, September 22, to Sunday, September 24.

Each year, a foreign exchange is implemented between the two cities. The exchange alternates years for when Cornish students come to Mineral Point and Mineral Point students go to Cornwall. Last year, a few Mineral Point students traveled to Cornwall for 13 days. One of those students was Julianna Cool. She thoroughly enjoyed the experience, stating that she “had such an amazing time being immersed in the culture of Cornwall.”

This year, Julianna will be one of multiple hosts for the Cornish exchange students. Although they usually come from the Cornish town of Redruth, Mineral Point’s twin, this year they are coming from Penzance. Julianna expressed, “I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to welcome them to Mineral Point.” The students arrived on September 20th. During their first few days here, they rehearsed for their performance “This is My Cornwall” at the Mineral Point Opera House which they performed on Saturday.

The second half of their trip involves touring around many popular Wisconsin sites including House on the Rock in Spring Green. The students are also set to take a trip to Madison to tour the state capital and have a shopping trip. The Cornish will return to Cornwall on Wednesday, September 27th after a wonderful week in Wisconsin filled with many exciting ventures!