Recent Results
  • Mineral Point Boys Basketball Will Play in State Championship Saturday!!!
The Student News Site of Mineral Point High School

Pointer Media

Pointer Media

Pointer Media

Mineral Point vs Racine

Pointer Football Survives Round 1

Last Friday the Mineral Point Football team made the long trip to Racine to take on the Racine Luthern Crusaders in a level 1 playoff game.

After forcing Racine to punt the Pointers got the ball back and Gibson Sporle found Bryce Vamstad for an 18-yard catch to bring them to the 5-yard line knocking on the Crusader’s door. Sporle ran the ball in and Vamstad added the extra point to make it 7-0 early in the game. Following the Pointer touchdown the Crusaders converted on a picture-perfect screen pass for a 30-yard touchdown to tie the game. Luke Filardo then had a huge kick return to put the Pointers in a great field position and senior quarterback Gibson Sporle punched in his 2nd rushing touchdown of the game. The extra point made the score 14-7.

Nearing the end of the first half Sprole found his top target of the night, Luke Filardo, for a touchdown pass. After the missed extra point the Crusaders found themselves down 20-7. They were stopped and were forced to head into halftime down by 13.

Fresh out of the break Bryce Vamstad added a field goal of 22 yards to the Pointers lead. During the Pointers’ next possession on a big 3rd and 8 Brock Lynch broke out with a 40-yard touchdown run which finalized the Pointers’ scoring on the night.

The Crusaders finally got some offense going and added on a touchdown but failed the extra point. It was a quiet night for the Crusaders’ offense thanks to 12.5 tackles from Jake Phillips, 6 from Roen Carey, and a blocked punt from Brock Lynch. A very solid showing from the Pointers line contributed to the 30-13 win. Senior Gibson Sporle said after the win “Coaches had a great game plan and we executed.”

A huge level 2 showdown is set for next Friday as Mineral Point travels to Darlington for a rematch of the midseason classic. It’s win or go home for both teams.